Saturday 14 September 2013

Morning and Evening in Nairobi


Every morning….

Every morning on our Leadership for Hope programmes we ask people to stand up and share what leadership step they took last night.  Even after one days training the stories often reduce us to silence or tears.

Eunice stood up on day two of this weeks three-day programme and this is what she said
“When I left the training last night I got on the bus to go home like I normally do. When the bus stopped I got off. There was a commotion at the bus stop and I saw this distressed woman on the ground surrounded by people. Normally I would have just kept on walking home without stopping, but because of all we learned today I decided to stop and go and find out what was happening and to see if I could help. As I got close to the woman I realised that she was laying next to a naked new born baby lying on the ground. It had been aborted by its mother and left to die, still with its umbilical cord attached. The woman on the ground was a passerby who was overwhelmed with grief and powerlessness as to how to help this fragile life.

I spent time talking to this lady and discovered that this woman was herself childless and this was the greatest sadness in her life. I agreed with the lady that to get any help for the child we needed to quickly get to the Police station for help.   As we continued to talk the woman said she would be more than willing to be this abandoned child’s mother. So, in the end the woman and I took the baby to the police station.  We explained everything. Papers were signed. The woman was given custody of the abandoned baby”


When Eunice arrived at the scene everyone was staring but no one was doing anything to help the baby or the distraught passerby. By seeing herself as a leader Eunice saw what was going on and took responsibility (one of the Mindsets we teach) and wrote a different story for an abandoned baby who now has a loving mother and a hope      
-  TW


This bus nearly crushed our car...!!







Jane is glad to be a vegetarian!





























From a traffic jam....

It’s a weird feeling knowing that you really are boxed in and trapped by a roads system that is super-snarled up beyond belief 24/7. You really are unable to get from A-B in any part of this big city without sitting for hours and hours in stinking traffic queues, wrestle with your irritation and fretfulness.

We have a wonderful driver called William who’s a whizz at sniffing out any possible back route across Nairobi, but we still always have to return to the inevitable Langata Road, which is total nightmare. And there we sit filling our tender lungs with exhaust muck and red dust.

I’m writing from one of these jams right now…lungs complaining and eyes scratchy and dry. We’re itchy, tired and desperate to flee from the polluted air.  But some things you just can’t escape. I’m forced to accept the situation and hope the fumes won’t make me vomit.

From the back of the car I watch a cacophony of action weaving about me: road sellers wandering with their wares from car to car (I wonder who could possibly want to buy a dusty face flannel or coat stand at 6 p.m), and there are the streams of folk at the sides of the roads…walking. Walking and walking to wherever they call home. And what I notice most are the children, thousands of them, walking by the side of the dangerous highway in groups or alone, trying to get home. Little ones of 5-6 yrs old dragging their tired little bodies homewards. I wonder if some of them were the figures I’d spotted on our 6.30 a.m. journey a lifetime ago?




Then I find myself dozing in the smog and suddenly we hear a commotion and see a group of about 20 standing around a body. Lying on the ground is a child of about 8 yrs old and we wonder if the child has been hit by a vehicle and might even be dead. The car crawls by, and we wonder if there is anything we can do. As we crane our necks the child regains consciousness. The young boy looks dreadful….but he’s alive. In the next moment our car is swept along by a sudden swell….and my heart skips with relief.




Children get killed crossing the roads on a regular basis in Nairobi. So far this year 145 people have lost their lives, and over half on our crazy route.
- JB


There are no safe places to cross roads in Nairobi